Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My Arlington Story (So Far)

While this blog is still new, I think it's important to get this story down on "paper."

I moved to Arlington two years ago and almost immediately began to seek ways to get involved. Soon, I learned about the civic associations and joined the one in my neighborhood. They needed a project representative (and an officer) so I quickly took off on my first community adventure. It was fun, at first. I enjoyed going to the County Board and commission meetings, talking with neighbors, and rallying the troops for the "cause" at hand.

Then came the disenchantment. After awhile, I found it almost impossible to "hold the line" for the neighbors without my own views getting in the way. Why? Everyone seemed to want more regulation, more government, and more of what they wanted at the expense of others. In the end, I couldn't keep doing it.

So I took some time off. I didn't pay much attention to local news, the County Board, or anything else that was going on in the community. I needed a new focus.

That's where Arlington Liberty comes in. Arlington is a leader in many aspect social liberty and equality, but lags behind in terms of economic liberty. My new goal is to be involved from a consistent, pro-liberty standpoint. I hope that, someday, Arlington can be recognized as a leader in overall liberty.

We'll see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!