Sunday, February 25, 2007

Eminent Domain in Virginia

The following letter was sent, in the form of an email, to Delegate Eisenberg and Senator Whipple:

I am writing regarding the "85% amendment" to HB 2954 that was accepted by the Senate this week. I want to explain one of the reasons why many Virginians oppose this amendment. If properties that are not blighted can be taken through eminent domain solely due to the condition of the surrounding properties, private development will be discouraged. Why would I, or someone like me, decide to privately develop a parcel of land if the chance were great that my property would be included in a taking of surrounding land? If HB 2954 is passed with the 85% amendment, the ONLY way that blighted areas will be redeveloped is through government intervention and eminent domain, meaning that governments will have to pay just compensation. It actually works better for the government if a private developer buys the land and develops it, because the tax base is increased without just compensation payments from the government.

I urge you to do everything in your power to pass complete eminent domain reform without this amendment.

No comments: